What is CalDigit USB-C Dock?
The CalDigit USB-C Dock is an interface expansion dock specifically designed to complement the 2016/2017 MacBook Pro, Retina MacBook, iMac 2017, iMac Pro and any Thunderbolt™ 3 computers. Since the MacBook Pro utilizes a minimalistic approach with four Thunderbolt™ 3 Type-C ports, users who desire additional ports will find the USB-C Dock to be the perfect companion in order to take their connectivity to the next level.
The USB-C Dock unleashes the full potential of Thunderbolt™ 3 and USB-C computers such as the MacBook Pro by expanding connectivity, flexibility, accessibility, and productivity with just one USB-C cable!
Not only does the USB-C Dock enhance user connectivity with additional ports, but it also enables a brand new function to simultaneously charge the USB-C laptop it is connected to. Now you can charge your laptop while connected to the USB-C Dock anytime and be ready for a new workday all charged up. Just keep the power adapter in your backpack as a spare. Most likely, you’ll hardly even miss it.
Mac Display Options
The USB-C Dock is capable of different display configurations depending on the OS used. Please check the possible configurations below.
To complement different monitors used by Apple enthusiasts, CalDigit selectively chose an HDMI port for its popularity and a DisplayPort for its conversion flexibility. Dual mirrored monitors can now be easily set-up with the MacBook and the USB-C Dock to support a wide range of monitor connections and resolutions including 4K UHD @ 30Hz, 2K QHD @ 30Hz & 60Hz, and Full HD 1080p @ 30Hz & 60Hz.
For Mac customers looking to use dual monitors with an extended desktop, this is not currently possible, as MST (Multi-Stream Transport) is not supported within the Mac OS.
Windows Display Options
Power users running on Thunderbolt 3 with Windows OS could benefit from an added boost of resolution and usability. The USB-C Dock is able to support multi-display arrangements with up to two discrete 4K UHD displays @ 30Hz, 2K QHD displays @ 30Hz & 60Hz in extended mode, or a single 4K UHD display @ 60Hz for the ultimate experience in high definition video!
Universal Display Connectivities
Does your USB-C laptop have limited video outputs?
The CalDigit USB-C Dock provides not one, but two different types of video output through a single USB-C (USB 3.1 Type-C) connection.
The USB-C Dock comes with both HDMI and DisplayPort connections.
HDMI is the most popular display interface and is readily available to convert to VGA and DVI. DisplayPort takes the crown with the ability to convert to virtually any kind of display interface ranging from VGA, DVI, HDMI, to mDP.
The CalDigit USB-C Dock is the most versatile dock to include both HDMI and DisplayPort, saving you time and effort in making the right conversion with ease!
MAC & PC
Utilizing incredible versatility with the latest USB-C port, CalDigit's USB-C Dock
features three legacy USB 3.1 Type-A ports, two modern USB-C (USB 3.1 Type-C) ports, HDMI, DisplayPort, Gigabit Ethernet LAN* and Audio In/Out jacks to encompass all the most popular connections highly sought by today’s enthusiasts.
The USB-C Dock's front facing USB 3.0 port features stand-alone fast charging at 2.1A (10.5W), which will charge devices 133% faster than a standard USB 3.0 port, and 40% faster than a typical Quick Charge USB 3.0 port, even when it is not connected to a computer.
Additionally, the power output of the rear USB-C port raises the bar to 3.0A (15W) of power, even surpassing the iPad Pro's supplied 12W charger. iPad Pro users can now seamlessly charge 25% faster through the USB-C Dock compared to the factory charger, making it easier to top off the battery even while iPad Pro is running at full throttle!
USB-C and Thunderbolt™ 3 both use the Type-C connector. This means that the USB-C Dock can be used on Thunderbolt™ 3 computers for added flexibility. This will allow everyone to use the USB-C Dock on a variety of computers. This includes full compatibility with the new 2016 MacBook Pro
One Click Disconnect
When you have a device that brings all of your peripherals together, a convenient way to quickly disconnect all of them safely is paramount. The free downloadable CalDigit Docking Station Utility allows you to eject all attached devices with a single click of your mouse, saving you the hassle of ejecting each peripheral individually. This powerful time saving solution makes disconnecting your CalDigit USB-C Dock from your Mac extraordinarily easy.
The vast majority of the USB-C cables on the market are inexpensive clones from USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 cables. These dangerous cables are potential fire hazards and can damage your devices. Certified USB-C cables feature calculated EMI shielding and a built-in electronic marker (e-marker), which enables connected devices to identify the capabilities of the cable, host, and device, ensuring optimum performance and safety. CalDigit only includes certified USB-C cables for full compatibility between all devices.
CalDigit carries a philosophy of utilizing the best materials and components to ensure years of reliable operation and customer satisfaction. Instead of using plastic to reduce overall cost, the design team reverted to choosing aluminum as their top pick for its outstanding heat dissipating properties, superior structural integrity, weight, fit and finish aesthetics, and 100% recyclability. CalDigit stands behind every product and aims to deliver the highest quality to everyone, even if it means cutting profits to furnish the best.
CalDigit is known for it's Mac-centric design and is passionate about designing products that compliment Apple devices aesthetically and functionally. While none of the other USB-C docks on the market are able to support Apple’s SuperDrive, CalDigit’s USB-C Dock is the first to deliver such compatibility.*
Mac laptops without an Ethernet port could be detrimental for those who require a reliable internet connection. The USB-C Dock brings back this missing connection and while doing so, conveniently enables the ability to share your internet over WiFi.
3 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A Port
1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C Port
1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C Port (Computer Link)
1 x DisplayPort 1.2
1 x HDMI 2.0
1 x Gigabit Ethernet*
1 x Audio In & Out
Power Supply Adapter
AC Input: 100V-240V~50Hz/60Hz
DC Output: 20V/4.5A, 90W
Dimensions and Weight
Height: 1.10 inches (2.8 cm)
Width: 7.89 inches (20 cm)
Depth: 3.68 inches (9.3 cm)
Weight: 1.32 lbs (0.6 kgs)
Legacy USB 3.0 computers2
Thunderbolt™ 3 computers1
Mac OS X 10.8.5 or later
Windows 7 or Later
Ambient Temp: 0°C~70°C
In the Box
1 x CalDigit USB-C Dock
1 x Power Adapter
1 x USB-C to USB-C Cable
1. Charging function is available on USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 laptops, smartphone, and tablets only. However, some manufacturers chose to partially support this feature or having their proprietary charger. Please contact your device manufacturer to confirm 3rd party Type-C charging support.
2. Functions such as video output and power delivery to charge host computers may may be limited. Please verify full functionality with host computer manufacturer.
3. Thunderbolt™ 3 chipset offers various support functionalities from each host manufacturer. Video output and/or host charging function may be limited depending on hardware and firmware compatibility design. To ensure best performance, always update your Thunderbolt™ 3 computers to the latest firmware.
4. Video output, charging function and Ethernet may be limited depending on USB-C Type-C computers, smart phone and tablet hardware design and software capability. Some Type-C manufacturers chose not to support these new features in USB Type-C Alt mode and some only support 1x DisplayPort lane. Contact your device manufacturer to obtain more information.
5. Thunderbolt™ and the Thunderbolt™ logo are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the United States and other countries.
6. Host computer GPU must support 4K resolution. 4K@ 60Hz support disabled by Default. Special Firmware Required. USB speed may clock down to 2.0 when running at maximum video bandwidth.
7. Standard USB 3.0 ports provide 0.9A @ 5V = 4.5W. Typical Fast charging USB 3.0 ports provide 1.5A @ 5V = 7.5W
8. Supplied iPad Pro factory charger provides 2.4A @ 5.1V = 12W
9. Requires active converter, $114.99
* Both Ethernet and SuperDrive support require one time only driver installation. Please download driver installer from here.